Critical consciousness allows an individual to identify why and how their own beliefs, norms, assumptions, language, and practices contribute to systemic inequality. Critical consciousness is an active state or process that is central to transformative change towards equity in systemic educational reform efforts.
In this EquiLearn Focus Session, participants will learn about the cycle of inquiry to move beyond critical reflection to better understand the progression of cognitive, emotional, and physical actions directed at changing inequitable structures.
- Engage participants in shared learning experiences related to engaging in the cycle of critical inquiry.
- Provide an opportunity for participants to network with others engaging in similar work areas.
- Provide individualized consultation supports for creating strategic plans to engage in the cycle of inquiry to impact social and educational structures.
- Discuss a strong rationale for moving beyond critical reflection to critical action toward equity.
- Describe the cycle of critical inquiry to advance equity including: taking action; considering the impacts of the action; analyzing the results of the action by reflection upon it; altering and revising conceptions and planning following reflection; implementing these plans in further actions.
- Explain the role of emotions, cognitive dissonance, and relationships in the development and maintenance of critical consciousness.
- Determine the action steps for creating opportunities for promoting critical inquiry and involvement in social action.
Following this session, you will be able to:
- Articulate the importance of critical inquiry for achieving equity.
- Express constructs of the cycle of critical inquiry.
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of emotions, dissonance, and relationships in the process of critical inquiry.
- Initiate action steps in creating opportunities for promoting critical inquiry to advance equity.
Hotels near the venue:
Residence Inn by Marriott St. Paul Downtown
200 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN 55102
Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown St. Paul
200 7th St W, St Paul, MN 55102
Holiday Inn St. Paul Downtown
175 West 7th Street, St Paul, MN 55102
Please contact your regional Technical Assistance Specialist for the registration password.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Audio Amplification
- Additional accommodations upon request