About this Event
What’s It About?
In the 2020 EquiLearn Focus Session - Creating Caring Classroom Communities through Culturally Responsive & Sustaining Lesson Planning, educator teams will learn and practice how to create learning experiences that include key elements of culturally responsive and sustaining instruction. Participants will also discuss how educators leverage equity-focused teaching to create inclusive, responsive, and caring classroom communities for all students. This event engages educator teams across multiple states within each cadre in a one-day shared learning experience that includes in-depth discussions, individual and group reflection activities, built-in networking opportunities, and individualized, in-person consultation from MAP Center staff to support action planning.
During this dynamic and interactive one-day learning experience, participants will:
- Examine characteristics of a caring classroom community;
- Deconstruct features of culturally responsive teaching practices;
- Describe the building blocks of culturally responsive lesson planning;
- Practice developing a lesson plan that incorporates the building blocks of culturally responsive teaching; and
- Initiate development of a district/schoolwide system of support for the design and delivery of culturally responsive and sustaining classroom instruction.
Who Should Attend
We’re asking that each participating team organize a group of 5-6 individuals, consisting of: a district-level curriculum administrator; 3-4 classroom teachers with diverse identities (race, gender, dis/ability, etc.) across multiple roles (upper and lower grade levels, diverse subject areas), with at least one special educator or teacher of emerging multilingual learners; and one paraprofessional.
Interested organizations should register as soon as possible, as there is limited seating available. Because space is limited, we can only accept one team (six people maximum) per organization. Each person on the organization’s team must register separately. Identical EquiLearn Focus Sessions will be held in each of the MAP Center’s three cadres; please consult with your team and select the session that will be held at a location nearest to your organization.
Registration deadline is March 13, 2020.