THIS IS A TWO-DAY VIRTUAL EVENT.
Audience: Education Leaders
FOLLOW THIS EVENT ON SOCIAL MEDIA #MAPELI2020 AND #MAPEQUITY!
Equity Leaders Institutes are transformative two-day learning experiences intended to increase participants’ capacities to advance and sustain equitable practices in teaching and learning. To allow for in-depth reflection and discourse among participants, and more individualized support for planning attendance for the institute will be capped at 60 people.
Creating Caring School Communities: Decolonizing Harmful Practices, Disrupting Push Out, & Advancing Liberation in Our Schools
The topic of this year's Institute is about re-establishing schools as caring communities by dismantling institutionalized practices that interrupt successful schooling experiences for historically marginalized populations and supporting the development of a framework to promote success for all students.
Following this two-day intensive learning experience, you will be able to:
- Expand and examine their understandings of policies, practices, and structures that disenfranchise students from their school community.
- Critique improvement initiatives that localize school “problems” within students and educators; thus ignoring the structural oppressions that continue to marginalize non-dominant communities (i.e. people of Color, individuals with dis/abilities, LBGTQ+ people, women, and people living in disinvested neighborhoods, etc.).
- State practices and characteristics of caring school communities.
- Initiate planning towards implementation of practices to increase capacity of school leaders in the creation of liberating and caring school communities.
Download Tentative Agenda (Will be available soon)
- Communication access real-time translation (CART)
- Additional accommodations upon request