Who We Are
Great Lakes Equity Center is a professional learning and research organization designed to support educators and education stakeholders in advancing their capacity to address challenges towards realizing education equity including education disparities, educator workforce shortages, and creating safe, inclusive, and supportive environments for all students and adults in both the public and private spheres.
Mission and Vision
The mission of the Great Lakes Equity Center is Responsive, Equitable, and Just Education for All. Our vision is to leverage collaborations with campus, school, and community partners to facilitate relevant research and practice responses to eliminate racial and other intersectional injustices in schools and society. Accordingly, the Great Lakes Equity Center works across four activity domains:
- Provide high-quality, research-based, low and no-cost equity-oriented professional learning opportunities, continuing education, and technical assistance to Pre-K-16 educators, administrators, and agencies.
- Engage community stakeholders and partners in collaborative solutions toward equitable education.
- Develop and disseminate research and other forms of public scholarship and resources toward educational justice and equity.
- Develop and support future educators, including higher education faculty, who are committed and equipped to engage and lead educational equity and justice work in their own contexts.
- Girls STEM Institute
- Midwest and Plains Equity Assistance Center
- Multiple Voices: Disability, Race, and Language Intersections in Special Education (the official journal of the Council for Exceptional Children’s Division of Diverse Exceptional Learners)
- Contracted Services